Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Field Testing!

I know there are not any readers, but I hope someone reads this eventually :)

Anyway - today I was outside doing some field-testing.

I know I am really behind with photos, etc. They will be added! I have taken more photos and even some preliminary video.

Today I have learned more than I can imagine about the routing algorithm, and the car as a platform.

I have ran into many problems, come up with many solutions, and am still working.

The current problem is over-steering, and over correction. When the car turns too sharply, and GPS is polled a second later - it appears that the car was traveling no where towards the objective.

Since my algorithm is based on the current, previous, and final point - this is a huge problem.

It might make sense to let the algorithm be aware of previous steering, etc.

My current fix for this over-steer issue (which actually makes the car drive in circles..) is to just steer for a moment during "steer cycles" then hold straight.

So instead of turning right for one entire polling cycle (~1 second), I have it turn right for 200ms then go straight for 400ms, then poll again.

This way I adjust the projection of the 'ray'/ path slightly (hopefully by a few degrees).

We will see once I get back out there!

As a teaser, here is a video I made last night in my kitchen - it's just running code to cycle forward/backward/right/left.


1 comment:

  1. Believe a better solution to your over steer problem. Would be reduce power and steer in the direction of the slide, apply some opposite lock. Good luck with this project, looking to complete one like myself.

    ReplyDelete