Sunday, April 18, 2010

Problems!

Ran into my first real speed bumps of the project...

For some reason the serial out data of the GPS unit was:
þ‹“µ¤S°»¬4‹“µ S°ƒ¬°±² S¬m»¤µ± ›¤°°°¬¤°°“¬ä “«#¬O¬m»¤“· ›¤ƒ²ý ‹“«¤S°£¬d‹“«¤S°Ë¬ä‹“«¤S°°lý°±²µ¤S°ƒ¬d‹“«#¬M¬m»¤“· ›¤°°´¬ä‹“«¤S°‹¬¤°±²m S°‹¬¤°±²µ S¬¬¶ c¬m#¬m»#ƒƒ›c4‹“«¤S°“¬¤°±²m S°£¬ ‹“«¤S


I had a clear view of the sky sitting outside in my back yard - normally I can get a fine signal near the window in my apartment. Status lights on the GPS module looked fine. I had a moment of panic thinking about how to fix this solution - perhaps the GPS module died, and I would have to have one shipped over-night. Or maybe it was a cable / arduino / connection issue. (Only one USB port of two on my Macbook Pro currently works...)

With 20 minutes wasted through troubleshooting - I decided to disconnect everything.
Soon after rewiring the GPS module to the Arduino I started seeing reasonable data coming off the serial port:


---------------
Time in UTC (HhMmSs): 212800.000
Status (A=OK,V=KO): A
Latitude: :)
Direction (N/S): N
Longitude: :)
Direction (E/W): W
Velocity in knots: 0.24
Heading in degrees: :)
Date UTC (DdMmAa): 180410
Magnetic degrees:
(E/W):



And then finally reloaded my own code to see:
---------------
Latitude: 1234.1234
Longitude: 01234.1234
---------------

Back in business - now time to further parse this data to an even more friendly format.

Note: Lat / Long have been modified for this posting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment