Monday, April 12, 2010

What has already been done

For this project, I plan to create a number of discrete components. At the highest level, they include:
-Interface with GPS
-Interface with a Motor
-Interface with Servo
-Controller for the system

These are all fairly straightforward to build considering many others have interfaced with this hardware set before. This project will really be a task of merging them together, while trying to keep costs low.

Before this blog, I did some initial preparation. This included testing my GPS module with the arduino, and building a basic h-bridge.

This is a photo showing the the GPS module, tied into a breadboard. Also visible is the IC that behaves as an H Bridge. I am using a L293DNE Quad Half-H Driver 16 dip IC. This part can drive my motor at up to 0.6A of current. Ideally I would have a 1A or 2A unit, but I am trying to use existing parts. This might be an issue down the road :)

Shown here is a photograph of the constructed H-Bridge. I could drive two motors off this IC, but will only require one.




And Finally everything tied together (with nice jumper wires! purchased because they make everything look so nice). This is 90% of the final hardware - the only parts missing are a servo, and motor.





Finally - this is a testing environment for in my apartment. I have the arduino with GPS unit and bread board in the window to pick up a good signal.


2 comments:

  1. When you first pitched it to me, I thought the idea was silly. But now, I want you to build two (one for me :)

    Check out the ST L6227 motor driver. I think it comes in a DIP package and you might be able to get free samples. It's cool b/c you can set a current controller with a Vref (or DAC, or DigiPot) to give you constant torque. If it's not ur cup of tea, there are other offerings by ST.

    Best of luck!

    PV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob.. ;)

    I think it certainly is a fun / interesting simple yet complex project. It's been fun so far.

    Regarding the motor driver - this is a great suggestion.

    I am only using the IC mentioned because it was in the parts closet in a lab here at school (free). If time wasn't a factor (9 days left, crap!) I would certainly go a bit more in depth with this type driver.

    I think I will likely get a sample (if possible) for future upgrades :)

    For now I don't think it'd hurt if my car traveled 0.5ft / sec. :)

    Keep checking in for updates!

    ReplyDelete